Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Day 11 - The Caffeine Conundrum

That darn CPAP is back. In the middle of the night Harris's nurse saw he was having labored breathing and that it looked like he was skipping breaths. The doctor put him on the CPAP and while he hates it (and it is hard for mom and dad to watch him struggling) he clearly needs it to breath right now -- the doctors also started a medication that is used to treat breathing problems in preemies. What is this medication you ask? CAFFEINE!

So I have not had caffeine in months! I went through caffeine withdrawal so as to not expose our child to caffeine. Then once I delivered the lactation consultant made sure to explain to me that caffeine would hinder my ability to get enough milk for our son, plus it would not be good for him. So here I am working hard to eliminate caffeine for our little man's world and here they are giving him some. And to add insult to injury they put the caffeine in his milk that goes in his feeding tube.

SO... I have a solution - what if I just had a grande skim latte in the morning and we all can be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment