Friday, August 28, 2009

Better...

Harris is doing much better on the new formula, unfortunately now he is spitting up after nursing which may be mean a lactose allergy (since I am still consuming dairy and the new formula is some artificially altered version with out lactose). BUT a little spit up is sure better then how unhappy he had been. Over the last week, while we were transitioning to the new formula, mommy and daddy waited each day to see -- to see if our little man was going to be fussy, to see if he was doing all the things he was supposed to do... it is amazing how excited one can get for a "poopy diaper" when you haven't seen one in a few days or how exciting it is to hearing cooing that is clearly happy. Having a happy baby has been wonderful -- now that Harris is feeling better we have even been catching him smiling much more.

So Harris is feeling better -- but his eating patterns have become all kinds of crazy. Harris is officially eating between 1 and 6ozs a feeding! I know- a huge range... here is what happens:

He starts out the day only wanting small amounts in fact he would gladly stop eating after an oz (if its a bottle) or about 6 minutes (if I am nursing), though I try and force at least two at a time or he is eating every 40 minutes. As the day goes on, he generally takes a bit more each feeding... so it goes with out saying that just as Mommy and Daddy sit down for dinner Harris decides he is starving - I suppose decides suggests he is doing this intentionally and though I am not entirely convinced he is not I will give him the benefit of the doubt. He is so hungry he can not bear to have less then 5 or 6 ozs, which takes him at least 30 minutes to finish! By then our warm, fresh dinner is a distant memory!

OH and sometimes the little man switches it up -- you know just for fun! The last time we were at the doctor he said we could let him eat at will -- I was excited then, a milestone of sorts. BUT believe me I liked the mandatory 3 oz every 3 hours schedule better, now I never know what is coming. Inevitably I either have had to make more because I thought it was going to be a small feeding (and of course this has to be done with screaming baby at my side), or I have to throw out formula, or worse breast milk, because I have made/warmed too much.

No comments:

Post a Comment